Newton’s second law is F = m.a. However this can be adapted to include velocity and time. This is because the acceleration is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time.
F = m.a
but a = Δt
therefore F = m Δt The a is replaced by Δt
- A 300kg motorcycle accelerates at 5ms-2. Calculate the force produced by the engine.
2. A 60kg Olympic sprinter exerts 600N of force during a race. Calculate the acceleration.
3. A car weighing 900kg accelerates at 3ms-2. Calculate the engine force required to achieve this acceleration.
4. A jumbo jet weighing 350 tonnes accelerates on take off at 20ms-2. What is the engine force required to achieve this acceleration?
5. A bicycle rider and push bike has a combined mass of 100kg. The rider speeds up from a standing start to 20ms-1 in 10 seconds. What force is required to achieve this?
6. A sparrow decelerates from 15ms-1 to land on a tree branch in 5 seconds. The mass of a sparrow is 200g. What force is required from the sparrow to land on the tree branch?