The purpose of this activity is to find out about several micro-organisms and their applications.
- Gain access to the library and/or Internet.
- Break the class into groups of approximately 4 people each.
- Assign each group a micro-organism.
- Each group then researches an aspect of the micro-organism which is useful to humans.
Examples of this could be:
• Yeast and alcohol production
• Bacteria and making yoghurt
• Fungi to make antibiotics
- Print the information or save to electronic media. Design a poster which displays the research findings.
This could be in an electronic format, as an alternative.
Materials needed for a poster would be:
• A3 paper
• A4 coloured paper
• Felt pens or crayons etc.
• Glue sticks
- The groups can then present the poster or electronic media to the class.
- Posters or electronic materials printed off can be then pinned to the wall.
Another variation is to photo-reduce the posters, etc. to A4 paper. Enough material could be photocopied to
produce a copy for every member of the class.